Monday, November 12, 2007

winning and losing

I had a wonderful moment last night, as I was watching Bill Maher's program. While I have found him as an interesting character, because he has been allowing himself to be critical to things that for many years i thought were undiscussable in this country - some months ago I was disappointed as I heard him talk very excitedly about winning and victories, about loser. I don't watch his programs frequently, but I was disappointed that a person which I considered reflective and smart would still be caught in the illusion of victories and defeats. I tried to find a way to share my thoughts with him, but was unable to find a "contact me" space in his website. Too bad - he doesn't want two way communication. Yesterday though i had a great moment - as I heard him questionning what winning and losing was, and reflecting that actually there is no such thing as a winner and a loser, that a winner is always a loser and viceversa, if we are able to see beyond our little square, and appreciate the larger picture. In other words (my words now): if i think I win over you, it's just a shortsighted thought, a misperception. Like a pendulum, my winning "over"you will sooner or later bounce back to make you the winner and me the loser. This is yin/yang. To believe that we can defeat others is an illusion, that doesn't stand the proof of time. The only way to avoid this is to seek win win solutions to our challenges. Any other solution is fragile, and the right balance will fall over our head, the bigger the violence we inflict on others, be it people or environment- the harsher the bouncing back effect. What a great contribution, Bill, to use the media to give some food for thought to the audience. We need to learn to see outside our little squares, the larger picture.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home